2 x 400 g tins of black beans
1 red onion
1 fresh red chilli
½ a bunch of fresh coriander
1 lime , plus extra to serve
2 handfuls of rolled oats
2 tablespoon salted peanuts
½ teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
plain flour , for dusting
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
6 bread rolls , or 12 slices of ciabatta
1 ripe avocado
fresh tomato salsa
- Drain the beans, peel and coarsely grate the onion and deseed and finely chop the chilli. Pick the coriander leaves. Finely grate the lime zest.
- Blitz the oats and nuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add 1½ tins of beans, the onion, chilli, ground coriander and cumin, coriander leaves, lime zest and a good drizzle of oil; blitz to combine.
- Add remaining beans and pulse just once or twice, so they stay a little chunky. Transfer to a bowl.
- Divide into 6 balls then flatten into burgers on a clean surface dusted with flour and smoked paprika. Place on a tray and chill for at least an hour.
- If using bread rolls, split in half. Place the bread, cut-side down, on the grill and cook until lightly charred. Set aside.
- Cook the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes each side, or until lightly charred and cooked through.
- Scatter rocket on 6 roll halves or slices of bread, top with burgers. Top with fresh tomato salsa, slices of avocado, rocket and the remaining bread slices. Serve with lime cheeks for squeezing over.